A Taste Of The Lake Life

 A Taste Of The Lake Life

My Adventures and Takeaways From My Weekend Trip To The Lake District

Getting To The Lake District

Pit Stop

It was an early morning for us as we began our travels to the Lake District. We would arrive by coach, which took us approximately five hours due to our pit stop for lunch. On our way into Lake District, we stopped in Yorkshire for lunch. It was here that I got my first opportunity to try black pudding. Know I had made the mistake of asking what it was before I ate it. If you don't already know, black pudding in pig blood and fat. Despite knowing what I was eating, I still gave it a chance and I was very impressed. It tasted exactly like the stuffing that we eat around Thanksgiving. To help wash down the black pudding I also got myself a serving of tea. I typically prefer my tea to be cold and sweet but this tea was very good. I won't lie and say that I added a ton of sugar but can you blame me and my southern roots.

The Views Coming In

I didn't know what to expect when it came to the Lake District, but nothing could have prepared me for the beautiful sights that I got to see. As we were traveling down the roads that would take us to our inn we were surrounded by rolling hills that went on for miles. I quite like seeing stone walls instead of fences for keeping livestock in. It added even more character to the landscape. Once I laid eyes on the lake I had to take a second to just take it all in. Beautiful mountains lined the sides of the lake. Sailboats and ferries covered the water. It was truly a sight to behold.

So What Did We Do?

Day One

The first day we got there it was about dinner time so we grabbed ourselves a bite to eat and quickly headed off to bed. We wanted to get all the rest we would need for the big weekend ahead of us.

Day Two

 The next day we were up and ready to go to Wrey Castle. We hoped on fair and cruised our way to the castle lands. The castle was actually quite a letdown. This could have been an unfair judgment seeing that we got to compare it to the big castles that we saw in Edinburgh. It was quite a trek to get up to the castle. That was something that I quickly learned, that nothing was right beside the water. If you wanted to go visit somewhere you always had a good hike ahead of you. Upon getting back from our trip to Wrey Castle my friends and I decided to rent a boat. Despite its top speed being maybe two miles per hour it was a lot of fun. It was very warm out on the water but you could tell that it was still the early part of summer. Sadly, our day didn't end the best because we happened to pick a terrible restaurant for dinner which caused all of us to fall ill the next day. 

Day Three

But that didn't stop us because the next morning we got up, hopped on a ferry, and began our long hike to Hill Top where the Potter house was. The Potter house was where Beatrix Potter lived and got much inspiration for her many children's books. You couldn't help but get the creative itch while visiting the small home. The house was the definition of cottage core. I do recommend the trip to everyone, but only if you're willing to make the hike to the top.


So What Did I Think For The Trip

Personally, Lake District was not my cup of tea. While it was beautiful, I constantly found myself bored without anything to do. Getting sick also really put a damper on the trip. I think my experience would have been better if we had gone more toward the middle of the summer when the locals would have been more active.




Comments